ERITH YACHT CLUB

GENERAL COMMITTEE MEETING

Meeting held on Monday 30th October at 20.00 hours

on the Clubship Folgefonn

  1. Present

Commodore

Adrian Reeves

AR

Vice Commodore

Paul Gladden

PR   

Rear Commodore

George Mees

GM

Vice President

Fred Finck

FF

Vice President

Robert Taylor

RT

Hon Secretary

Val Torreggiani

VT

Sailing Secretary

Sarah Mees

SM

 

Roger Lambell

RL

 

Ann Finck

AF

                                                       Vic Mitchell                   VM

                                                        Colin Twyford               CT

                                                  Dudley Davies                 DD

                                                  Alan Cooper                   AC

                                                  Sarah Taylor                     ST

                                                  John Edmonds                  JE

      Apologies                           Iain Buckland                 IB

  1. Minutes Monday 4th September 2006

Accepted 

  1. Matters Arising

      Costings still being sought for Alan Bennett donation item.

  1. OOD and Cleaning Rota

10.09.06

Open Weekend continued.  Warm day, cruiser and dinghy racing. Prize Giving enjoyed. Potential Members sailing. OU group visited pre-historic forest.

Marie O’Connell

12.09.06

Yacht Panjandrum (Mr Pope) moored overnight

Peter Minch

17.09.06

Flags raised but halyards left in disarray.  Training in OOD duties requested.  Club Gates left closed but unpadlocked again.       FF/RD

Dominic Gillett (PM) crewed for JE.  AF lowered flags.

No OOD

(Steve Crowley)

24.09.06

Visitors from Thamesmead with Mirror dinghies. Graham Taylor Trophy held with 11 dinghies

R. Szczepankiewicz

01.10.06

Returnees from St Kats. Weather very poor.

Guy Bates

06.10.06

Friday, ship’s alarm not set.

 

07.10.06

Saturday Camera 3 blurred. Bob T. left a message on Fred Finck’s answerphone saying he thought shed door open. At 2245 Ann & I heard this and visited EYC where we found shed door open and also the cage.  We then secured them both.

Fred Finck

08.10.06

No OOD

No OOD

(Peter Dornan)

10.10.06

Two boys on site, ran off.  Sited twice.  Strimmer found lying by cruisers.

 

15.10.06

No OOD

No OOD

(James Chapman)

22.10.06    

No OOD

No OOD

(John Evling)

29.10.06   

Flags up 8.30am Very bright. Club and Youth sailing.

Bill Dott

Cleaning Rota -.  Members are reminded that OOD and Cleaning Rota are requirements of Membership. 

10.09.06

Trevor Armstrong

Completed

17.09.06

Terry Evans

Completed

1.10.06

Frank Turner

 

8.10.06

Mick Kemp

Completed

15.10.06

Robert Harle

 

22.10.06

Martyn Atkinson

 

29.10.06

Norman Dow

 

5.      Membership

The following Youth Members are welcomed to Erith Yacht Club.

Connor Simpson

Youth

Miss Simpson

Dudley Davies

Levi Winchester

Youth

Mrs G. Winchester

Dudley Davies

Eleanor Crouch

Youth

Mrs F. Crouch

Dudley Davies

Linda Crouch

Youth

Mrs F. Crouch

Dudley Davies

Isley

Joseph

Youth

Ms F. McDonald

Dudley Davies

Tyler

Joseph

Youth

Ms F. McDonald

Dudley Davies

Leah Butcher

Youth

Ms S. Beresford and Mr G. Butcher

Dudley Davies

  1. Secretary

a)  Tender offered by Alan Hunt for the cradle donated by Richard Everett has been accepted.

b)      Dr. Peter Allen thanked EYC for OU visit over Open Weekend.  He was most impressed with the friendly welcome.  He has requested a further visit 11.03.07 at 10am.  Agreed.

c)      Tory Harte (NMM) requested information concerning copyright of film held in NMM archive.  FF to investigate and communicate.

d)      DD has communicated with Andrew Bacon concerning water connection.  The following points were agreed:

·        DD and AB to discuss points of agreement

·        Agreement to be drawn up between EYC and Moorings

·        EYC to retain right to withdraw from agreement at any time.

·        Meter to be read and Moorings to be billed at same time as EYC receives water bill.

·        Pipe -  ½ inch with associated stopcocks and meters.

·        VT to check current water consumption and costs.

e)      Key to electric metre box still missing.

7.  Treasurer

     a) The following fees were agreed. 

Membership

Full

£148.00

Family

£220.00

Up-river

 £30.00

Youth

 £00.00

Joining Fee

£50.00

Contingency Fund (subject to Gift Aid)     

£25.00  (see item 7b)

Facilities

Mooring

£340.00

Half Tide Mooring (to be offered by Mooring Committee)

£310.00

Dinghy

  £90.00

Mooring Application

£175.00

Unused Trailer

£150.00

In 2006 outgoings have already exceeded income due to a number of unexpected expenses over and above estimates (slipway, afterdeck, galley etc.). Assuming no further surprises, the recommended figures should enable us to keep our heads above water for another year without drawing further on reserves.   Iain Buckland    Hon. Treasurer   14.10.06

Proposed  Iain Buckland                                 Seconded  Robert Taylor                            Accepted

b) Following a long discussion concerning the Contingency Fund the following points were made:

  • Members who pay income tax will be requested to make a gift to the Club as this will raise  income for the Club through tax rebate. 
  • Members will receive further, detailed information concerning Gift Aid.
  • Members may continue to pay Contingency Fund if they do not pay income tax.
  • Gift Aid is voluntary.  Through donation of Gift Aid the Club will be able to raise higher funds.   Should this not prove the case during 2007 then the decrease in income will need to be reflected in 2008 through considerably higher fee increases.

c)  DD requested that EYC take part in the Christmas Tree Festival in Christ Church, Victoria Road, Erith (15th to 17th December).  £25 is requested for purchase of tree, which is to be decorated by the organisation.  £100 was requested to go to Greenwich & Bexley Hospice and Christ ChurchAgreed

d)  OAP Membership Fees 

     ‘I propose that members with a continuing membership of 10 years and who are retired and receiving an old age pension should be offered a 50% discount on their membership subscription.’

      Proposed  Colin Twyford                                  Seconder  Fred Finck

A lengthy discussion was held on the above proposal and the following points were made:

  • Members are often on fixed pensions.
  • Full Membership keeps the elderly sailing and involved in the Club.
  • Investigations should be made for grants for +50 year olds.
  • 104 full fee paying Members are very necessary for all the work that due to recent legislation MUST be carried out eg. Galley, deck, lower deck, fire regulations, Port Health requirements…
  • A Member in genuine difficulties should always feel they can approach the Flag Officers or Secretary to discuss their situation.  EYC always looks favourably on those with genuine problems.
  • We don’t have enough information to know if our books will balance if we were to adopt reduction at this stage.

It was agreed that the above proposal would be seriously considered for 2008 when a tighter analysis of finances can be made due to the implementation of SAGE.

8. Wine Committee

    a)  Bar profits doing well.  VM hopes that the projected 25% profit will be met by the end of the year.

    b)  VM circulated ‘Use of Bar for Private Functions’ document for consideration at the next meeting.

    c)  VT to investigate insurance considerations.

9. Health and Safety

     a)  AR brought the matter of Health and Safety legislation to the Committee.  He highlighted the need

for each section of the Club to have written Risk Assessments and that these should be filed and         

held at the Club.

      b) It is necessary that each section undertakes Risk Assessment documentation and implementation.  Flag Officers and the General Committee are responsible for such Assessments and their implementation. Wine, Sailing, House, Moorings, Social, Training, Youth are sections which particularly need to write Risk Assessement documents and ensure their implementation.             

       c) House Committee is meeting 31st October to consider this;  Mooring Committee to call a meeting;  SM looking into generic models; Social being guided by Port Health and awaits meeting date.

11. Sailing Committee

a)       03/04 September Open Weekend.  Very active and much enjoyable sailing.  All helpers thanked.

b)      Graham Taylor trophy well represented with 11 dinghies.  9 Mirrors from Thamesmead also held a race.  A goodly number of parents and grandparents in attendance.

c)      Three boats to St.Kats.  despite high tide and closure of Thames Barrier.

d)      Persil Trophy re-run was worthwhile.

e)      20 entries for Oven’s Buoy.  18 boats took part.  This is becoming a most popular event.

f)        Many new Members of the Club are engaged in racing and sailing.

g)      SM expressed her pleasure at the amount of sailing and fun that has been enjoyed at EYC this year.  She thanked all helpers and hoped that more Members would volunteer to assist in racing etc. next year.

h)      Stubbers have requested two days spinnaker training at a date agreeable to EYC. Agreed     DD

10. Moorings

a)      Health and Safety continues to be a concern.  Early meeting to address Risk Assessment.

b)      Need for a bigger base of helpers. 

c)      Equipment is powerful, dangerous and high tech.

d)      GM thanked all ‘background’ workers who kept Moorings ‘afloat’.

e)      Ron Havill was granted permission to bring boat on station once all details sent to Mooring Committee.

f)        Jo and Peter Jackett’s request for moorings to be considered once class of boats brought to committee.

11. House Committee

a)      Suggestions for Work Sundays welcomed

b)      Toilet block bid for 9th November.  Henkel grant must be spent soon.  Block to cost £17,000 in total.

c)      Galley going very well.  Port Health will visit in December, no catering until inspection complete.  All involved thanked. 

d)      Brush cutters hired and return organised.  Marie and Anita organised to use. 

e)      Lighting repairs in hand, unfortunately electrician is very busy.

f)        Committee decision to limit use of the Lower Saloon until deck and electrical repairs carried out.

g)      Emergency lighting required for companion way and keg store.

 12. Social Committee

a)      No food to be provided for Prize Giving due to galley closure.

b)      Food may be limited on Work Sundays until galley complete

c)      Bookings for the Club Dinners to Dudley Davies and Eve Peyto as soon as possible please.

13. Managing the Marshes

      a)   Erith Regeneration report (Rachael McKeown) included the following points concerning EYC:

-         The development and Erith Yacht Club can help the regeneration process by improving the cultural and amenity offer of the town.

-         The Yacht Club has a successful track record in social regeneration through working with local young people and other disadvantaged groups

-         The Yacht Club can also play an aspirational role in regeneration, attracting more affluent households to the town and helping to create a more mixed community.

d)      £34,000 has been granted for the MtM project however monies must be spent before claims can

be made therefore £5,000 ‘loan’ from Club funds requested by PG to act as a float.  Agreed

e)      RL pointed out that a container for MtM equipment would have to comply with the new EU Fire

Regulations.

           (See Addenda)

14.  Project

a)      We continue to work on the Sports Development Plan, meeting once a week to discuss the results of our research, hopefully ensuring that our visions and aims (as reported in the September Newsletter) are fully met and justified.

b)      When SDP is completed using SAGE the financial plan should be completed in a relative short time.

c)      The complete proposal (business plan, sports development, financial projections, etc) will be circulated to the members for their consideration.

d)      If agreed, we can seek funding.

e)        We have received the drawings for the proposed pontoon and brow. A meeting with the PLA to seek their opinion is being arranged. If they agree with our proposals they will then be submitted to planners so that planning condition number 18 can be satisfied

f)        Three contractors have been asked, by Mr Williams the Marine Surveyor, to quote for the work. This will enable us to have accurate costing for the build and delivery to EYC of the pontoon.

15. Youth Section

a)      There has been a good attendance on Sundays with all six Bosuns on the water on one occasion. Last Sunday two Bosuns afloat with seven members sailing.

b)      Nine Mirrors (18 members) took part in the Mirror Sunday. All had a good time all entrants received a medal. Thanks to Sarah and Baz for organising the race and presenting the medals.

c)      Six members, Teri Butcher, Enzo Daghini, Jamie Murphy, Peter Reeves, Alex and Rhianon Souter attended the SE RYA Topper Open at Bough Beach all improved during the four race series with Peter finishing second overall. In the race for older children Gino Daghini also finished second even though he had a dreadful start.

d)      The two members who probably had the most enjoyable time were Matteo Daghini and Douglas Souter who ended up completely covered in mud.   

e)      Work Sunday, can a few jobs be sorted out that will keep the youngsters gainfully employed – one is replacing the cam belt etc. on Robbie George.  Report Dudley Davies

16. Rules Committee

      aSGM date 3rd December agreed. 

      b)  Members should bring any questions to the attention of the  through the Secretary prior to the

           meeting in order that full answers can be prepared.

17. Membership Committee

      DD has obtained a further set of coloured Membership Packs.

18. Training Committee

a)      Day Skipper Courses are being run

b)      Radio Courses have been run

c)      Permission to purchase a GPS to assist with Radio Courses initial quote in region of £180 to include cables etc.  Agreed

d)      Available on Saturday 11th to run either Radio or Power Boat Course.

e)      Winter Training starts Sunday 12th November.

f)        Bank balance stands £1,232.53

g)      Groundwork has submitted a regional expression of interest for the work with youth outreach and engagement with local sports clubs. It is possible that EYC may be asked to participate if the scheme goes ahead. No further details are available at this time.

19. Security

      AC suggested that a further camera located at the main gate might help with security and

     Assist in ensuring Members kept the gate locked at appropriate times.  Cost approx.  £250 - 300          Agreed

20. AOB (Emergency Matters only)

     

Meeting finished     23.10 hours

Next meeting          GM 27th November2006

                               

vmbt 31/10/06